Burkina government resigns over unrelenting jihadist attacks

Ex Burkinabe Prime Minister, Christophe Joseph-Marie Dabiré

The government of Burkina Faso resigned December 8 over its failure to check the weekly attacks of jihadists that constantly keep the nation in mourning.

PrimeMinister, Christophe Joseph-Marie Dabiré, threw in the towel Wednesday, December 8, via a letter to the president, Roch Marc Christian Kaboré, who accepted the resignation. Reading a presidential decree on public television, presidential spokesman, Stéphane Wenceslas Sanou, said: “The functions of Prime Minister of Mr. Dabiré are terminated”.

The resignation of the government followed several demonstrations by the populace which berated the government’s inability to contain the attacks of the jihadists bearing down from the northern flanks of the country.

The resignation of the prime minister automatically entails that of the government, according to Burkinabe law.

According to the texts, “the members of the outgoing government ensure the day-to-day business of the ministerial departments until the formation of a new government,” said Mr. Sanou. “I invite the Burkinabés, as a whole, to mobilize, to support the president of Faso and the new executive that will be put in place. I remain convinced that it is through unity of action that we can meet the challenges facing our country and our people, ”Mr. Dabiré said on his Facebook page.

The population’s fed up For several weeks, anger had been mounting against the executive. On November 9, the opposition notably demanded “urgent measures” in the face of the “deteriorating security situation”, within a month. And on November 27, hundreds of demonstrators descended on the capital, Ouagadougou, to denounce the “inability” of the government to counter the jihadist violence hitting the country.

Civil society organizations demanded on this occasion the departure of the head of state. About ten people, including a child and two journalists, were injured in the dispersal of these steps. The attack on November 14 on a gendarmerie detachment in Inata (north), one of the deadliest against the security forces, shocked the country: at least 57 people, including 53 gendarmes, were killed by jihadists armed.

Two weeks before the attack, Inata’s gendarmes alerted the staff to their precarious situation, saying they were running out of food and eating from poaching. More and more frequent attacks Burkina Faso has been caught since 2015 in a spiral of violence attributed to jihadist armed groups affiliated with Al-Qaida and the Islamic State organization.

Attacks, which target civilians and military alike, are increasingly frequent and the vast majority concentrated in the north and east of the country. They have left around 2,000 dead and 1.4 million displaced. At the end of November, President Kaboré announced new measures, stressing “the need to constitute, at the government level, a closer and more united team”.

The Burkinabé president also announced the launch, next week, of a “clean hands operation, to empty all pending corruption cases and clarify all the cases that pollute the daily lives of Burkinabés enamored of good governance and democracy”.

In office since January 2019, Prime Minister Christophe Joseph-Marie Dabiré, former commissioner in charge of trade, competition and cooperation of the West African Economic and Monetary Union, was reappointed in January, after the re-election of Mr. Kaboré for a second and final term.

Mr. Kaboré was elected in November 2015, a year after his predecessor, Blaise Compaoré, in power since 1987, was kicked out into the streets for wanting to modify the Constitution in order to remain in his post. But the new president was confronted from the moment he took office with a gradual deterioration of the security situation in the country, which has so far not been able to be halted.

 

Le Monde with AFP

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*